Thursday, December 1, 2011

Wasted Prayer


In September life was busy with getting things ready to send Courtney off to college.  A haircut got put on the back burner until I was desperate.  My hair was driving me crazy!  I called to schedule an appointment hoping that I could get in immediately.  Nothing was available until the next week but I said, "If anyone cancels today give me a call and I will come right in."  My day was pretty open and I was desperate.

I found myself praying frequently throughout the day, "Lord, will you please allow a time slot to open up.  I really need my hair cut."  In the morning I had peace that my request would work out.  In the late afternoon however, I realized my request probably wasn't going to work out so I intensified my prayers.

God got my attention while I was praying and doing dishes by the kitchen sink.  All day long my prayers had been about me.  They had been selfish, wasted prayers.  How I could have spent that time praying fervently for my son and his friends at school, for the needs of others, and so many things and I had wasted all that time ON HAIR!  How convicting! 

God does tell us to "pray continually" but the context is "Be joyful always, pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18  God certainly got my attention through a missed haircut and now I am hoping that my prayers will reflect more of His will, rather than my own selfishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...