Sunday, June 10, 2012

On Our Way

Well, the countdown is on.  Just two more days and we are on our way to Guatemala.  After months of thinking about it the time is finally here!

Josiah and Courtney will be helping with the children while the adults are in the med clinic...and me, well, that is still a mystery.  Once we get there I'll find out where I am needed most, but it is possible I'll have the opportunity to work in the lab.  I told my parents about that possibility today and they laughed.  Well, you see there is a history with me and labs...

When I was a little girl I was anemic and had to get several iron shots that I didn't respond well to...and then there was the pre-kindergarten incident.  When it was time for shots before going to school I was very upset (maybe because of all my previous iron shots) and I threw a crying fit in the doctor's office.  After awhile the nurse said, "Fine, you don't have to get a shot" and she walked out of the room.  I was so relieved and I stopped crying.  However, the next thing that happened scarred me for life...one nurse grabbed me from behind and the other nurse came at me with that fearful needle and I responded by fainting.  After that whenever I even saw I needle I would faint.  I even fainted when my younger sister got her ears pierced because it looked like a needle too! 

Over the years God has worked on me and my fears.  I think of all the time I spent at Children's Hospital with Whitney and all the pokes and procedures done to her during her time there.  God gave me the strength to be there by her side, witnessing it all, and never faining.  He gave me the strength to stand beside her and trust Him even though I didn't understand everything that was going on inside her precious little body. 

I think of all the verses I've reciting over and over again in my head when I've had to have procedures done on me..."For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations." Psalm 100:5  Over time I discovered that if I kept talking it was virtually impossible to faint as well...you see, you can't hold your breath when you keep talking! 

This will be an adventure and I can't wait to see how God uses the next 10 days to draw my children closer to Him as they are able to share His love with children in Guatemala.  I am also excited to know that God may choose to use me during this time to sit in a lab, a place I would never have anticipated many years ago,  and work for His glory!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...